At LAL we are committed to supporting our local athletes so that they can fulfil their potential and achieve success. Outlined below are the two programmes that we deliver for our local athletes again with support from the Gannochy Trust.
Our aim is to provide assistance and free venue access to enable athletes to be developed to their full potential
There are certain criteria that an athlete must meet to be considered for the above scheme;
* They must be a resident in Perth & Kinross OR
* They must be a member of a Perth & Kinross based sports club.
* The athlete must also represent their sport* at any of the following standards:
o Scottish Institute of Sport
o Area Institute of Sport
o Scottish / British / European / World Championship Title Holder
o Scottish or Great Britain Squad Member
* Eligible athletes must participate in a sport that has a governing body recognised by sportscotland. Evidence of this should be included within the application process through sportscotland's verification form.
Athletes should complete the application form and have it endorsed by the relevant NGB or Area Institute / Squad Coach. The application should then be submitted to Live Active Leisure, where it will be assessed. The athlete will be sent notification of the outcome of their application, including any particular conditions which may affect their access to our leisure venues.
• Talented Athlete Application
Scientific evidence suggests that resistance training has a positive effect on the growth and well-being of young athletes. Early specialisation in a sport can lead to athlete injury and muscular imbalances. Participating in a strength and conditioning programme is an ideal way to help address these issues.
Live Active Leisure recognises the importance of giving local athletes access to strength and conditioning training, and with the support of the Gannochy Trust, has developed physical preparation sessions in line with the Gannochy initiatives outcome to support the development of talented athletes in Perth and Kinross.
Training takes place twice a week in the Strength and Conditioning gym in Bell's Sports Centre from Oct - June. All sessions are overseen by an experienced Strength and Conditioning coach.
These sessions prepare athletes for the physical demands of their sport. They help the athlete reduce their risk of injury by developing a good posture, efficient movement skills, balance and coordination. The programme also developed the athlete’s flexibility, strength, power, and speed, as well as enhancing their performance within their sport.
* the athlete must be a member of Live Active Leisure's Talented Athlete Scheme (above)
* meet the current age limit set for the programme